End Your Depression Banner

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Mimosa Tree Bark - Chinese Herb for Depression

Today I was researching some Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) remedies for depression, specifically herbs that might offer a side-effect free alternative to Western pharmaceutical antidepressants.

I came across this article about Albizia, or mimosa tree bark, which is also known as the "happiness herb".  I am sharing the article link here, because it contains information regarding scientific studies of the herb's effectiveness at treating depression.  It also has a brief discussion on the types of antidepressants, as well as a section on biochemical theory.  Though you may be more interested in simply finding something that works, I have always been fascinated with understanding "why" something works, too.

In the past, I've little success with finding this herb for sale online or in a store.  It's mostly because it's labeled under so many different names, and some different spellings.  And sometimes if you search online for "mimosa tree bark"  the results you get are for the whole dried herb in a bag or a bottle of powder with no idea how to take it or what dose to try since none of the label is in English.

The easiest preparations I've found are in the form of liquid herbal extracts.  Amazon sells Planetary Formulas Albizzia Calm Liquid, 4-Ounce Bottle (yes, notice the spelling is with two Z's for this product).   You can place drops of it under your tongue, or, as I prefer, simply place the drops in your drink instead.   Then there's no messy powders or weighing or trying to figure out how to prepare the dried herb or worry that you're taking a consistent dose.

If 4 ounces is more than you are willing to commit to when you're first trying it, Herb Pharm offers Albizia Extract 1 Ounces, too.  It's the same herb, just a smaller bottle and a different manufacturer.  Herb Pharm also offers a 4 ounce bottle, too.  I've also seen Herb Pharm Extracts for sale at my local Whole Foods, store as well as my local independently owned health food store, too, if I need to pick it up at a store, rather than buy it exclusively online, I've got that option, too.

Image:  Hummingbird drinking nectar from a Mimosa Tree blossom by Bill Heller.

No comments:

Post a Comment